5 Reasons Most People Don't Win Money Playing Poker OnlineThis was published 21-08-2008
A lot of people play poker online everyday for real money, somewhere in the hundred-millions! Strangely enough the harsh reality is that less than 5% of those people are actually making money playing.
This may sound shocking, and completely unbelievable, but it is the truth. Sure, players win here and there all the time, but chances are they are probably losing more than they are winning.
Here are the 5 biggest mistakes people make playing poker online…
1) Bankroll Management – Poker is full of ups and downs, so you should really only be playing games you can afford to play. Utilizing bankroll management allows you to take a few loses, then go back to winning again. You need to know your limits and play within them!
2) Gambling Too Much – Sure, poker is gambling, but you should only be taking risks when you have a good chance of winning. If you are calling down to the river on your gutshot straight draws, chances are you are a losing player. Even chasing a flush draw if it is going to cost you too much money is a bad idea over time. You should only be taking risks if you are getting a good price to stay in the hand and you can make the best possible hand. Take risks only if there is a high percentage of odds that your miracle card will come!
3) Bluffing – Everybody watches poker pros on TV bluffing their way out of huge pots. Sure, bluffing is a part of the game, but this is a skill that should only be attempted when you are consistently winning money without it. Everytime you bluff, chances are that you are risking all your chips and depending on your opponent you may get called on a wide range of hands. Be careful if you are going to bluff!
4) Not Knowing When to Stop – Chasing your losses is one of the dumbest things you can do. You can’t think of money gone as something you NEED to get back. Everyone gets into a rut sometimes, but sometimes a really bad rut can cost you your entire bankroll. If you are having a bad time at a table, maybe you should get up and try another table. Like the classic poker song “The Gambler” goes, you gotta know when to fold’em!
5) Not Studying Basic Poker Strategy – You wouldn’t write a college exam without studying, would you? So why would you play at a poker table with your hard earned money without taking time to learn the game. Even the best poker players are learning, so if there is something you don’t know, why don’t you try asking a pro. You have to know how to play your position, which starting hands to play, how to tell what type of player your opponents are and much more before you should even considering risking your cash!
This is really just a basic list and I am sure I am missing a ton of things, but if you aren’t making money playing poker, look over this list and see where you might be going wrong. Practice makes perfect, and you still can figure out the holes in your game to become a winning poker player. Good luck!